Dr. Akshath R. Shetty
I am working as a postdoctoral research associate in the Radiation Surface Sciences and Engineering Lab at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. My research focuses on the study of plasma-surface interactions and active chemistry during surface and interface modification on a variety of materials.
- PhD Physics, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland (2012)
- Research Guide: Dr. Ayat Karimi
- Title of PhD thesis: Off-axis texture and crystallographic accommodation in multicomponent nitride thin films deposited by pulsed magnetron sputtering
- MSc (By Research), Physics, UICT, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Research Guide: Dr. R. R. Deshmukh
- Title of M.Sc. Thesis: Plasma processing of polymeric films and their applications
- BSc, Physics, D. G. Ruparel College, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (2013-2014) National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan
- Study of crystallographic orientation/texture for various alloys after each process using pole figure XRD and EBSD. Phase identification using Bragg-Brentano scans.
- Sample preparation using metallography and examination of grain structures using optical microscopy and SEM. Study of mechanical properties of alloys using micro-hardness and nanohardness
- Doctoral Assistant (2009 – 2012) École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Involved in preparation and characterization of films of various compositions deposited on various substrates and studied its crystallographic, structural and mechanical properties.
- Conducted practical’s for 3rd year graduate students. Teaching them to deposit ZnO:Al films by sputtering and characterizing its properties using various techniques like XRD, Van der Pauw method, Hall effect, optical properties, and surface morphology study by AFM.
- Associate Copyeditor (2007 – 2009) Knowledgeworks Global Ltd, Mumbai, India
- Edited accepted manuscripts for reputed publishers like Elsevier, LWW and JBC. Proof reading of manuscripts. Copyedit manuscripts online and on hard copy.
- Joined the company as a trainee Copyeditor and promoted to Associate Copyeditor within a year.
- Knowledge of scientific, technical, and medical texts. Knowledge of the following styles: CBE, AMA, APA, Chicago, MLA.
Modification and functionalization of advanced surfaces and interfaces using plasma and low-energy inert gas ions (e.g. He, Ar); Thin-film deposition; Characterization of nanomaterials; Imaging and surface analysis: AFM, STM, SEM, TEM, XPS; Crystallography studies: texture, phase, stress.
- Off-axis texture and crystallographic accommodation in multicomponent nitride thin films deposited by pulsed magnetron sputtering, Swiss National Science Foundation, Switzerland, 2009 – 2012 – Scholarship for PhD thesis.
- Sir Ratan Tata Scholarship, Sir Ratan Tata Trust, Mumbai, India, 2004 2006 – Scholarship for Master’s thesis.
- “Texture change through film thickness and off-axis accommodation of (002) planes” Appl. Surf. Sci. October 2011, 1630-1638. A. R. Shetty and A. Karimi. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2011.10.037
- Effect of deposition angle on the structure and properties of pulsed-DC magnetron sputtered TiAlN thin films” Thin Solid Films. March 2011, 4262-4270. A. R. Shetty, A. Karimi, and M. Cantoni. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2011.02.090
- “Texture mechanisms and microstructure of biaxial thin films grown by oblique angle deposition” Phy. Stat. Sol B. April 2012, 1531-1540. A. R. Shetty and A. Karimi. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pssb.201248010
- “Comparison of surface energies using various approaches and their suitability” Appl. Polym. Sci. March 2008, 3707–3717. R. R. Deshmukh and A. R. Shetty. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/app.27446
Full publication list: http://scholar.google.ch/citations?user=3JiBC1AAAAAJ&hl=en